What is true for crankshafts in passenger cars and trucks applies to an even greater extent to crankshafts in large-scale industrial engines and marine engines. These components must withstand enormous physical forces and mechanical stresses. An additional factor are the high costs for the blanks and the considerable size of these components made of spheroidal cast iron or steel.
The differences in design (one-piece or sectioned) require component-specific machining solutions on high-performance turning and milling centres or crankshaft milling machines which we convert for turning, drilling, milling and threading using our comprehensive range of precision tools.
01. Walter Xtra-tec® F4033 Surface Milling Cutter with Tiger-tec® Silver Inserts.
02. Walter Centering tool.
03. Walter OD milling tool to rough mains and pins.
04. Walter internal milling tool to rough mains and pins.
05. Walter milling tool for angled cheek faces.
06. Walter cutter to rough cheeks.
07. Walter cutter to rough mains/pins.
08. Walter cutter to semi-finish mains/pins.
09. Walter cutter for main/pin radius/undercut.
10. Walter Titex XD drill for oil holes.
11. Taps/Formers for ends and oil holes.
In manufacturing large-scale engines, process reliability has maximum priority because the costs for the blanks alone constitute a considerable proportion of the total costs for an engine block. The materials used in manufacturing engine blocks for large-scale engines are aluminium, grey cast iron, ductile iron and steel.
High rates of material removal from these components create particular challenges. Such being the case, the metal cutting tools must equally be appropriately dimensioned and produce the necessary high performance.
We have the right tools for the job to ensure precision and process reliability when used on high-performance machining centres. The result is high-quality components which ensure long-term, trouble-free engine operational life.
01. Walter Face mill for fires face and top face.
02. Walter Face mill to finishing fire face.
03. Walter indexable drill for face holes.
04. Walter Titex X-treme drill.
05. Walter Prototyp Tap.